Dentures: Types, Procedure, and Aftercare
Dentures are a tooth replacement option for individuals who have lost their natural teeth due to age, injury, or disease. Today, dentures are a popular option for individuals seeking to restore their oral function and improve their appearance. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the benefits of dentures, the different types available, the procedure involved, and aftercare.
What Is The Importance Of Tooth Replacement Options?
Missing teeth can significantly impact an individual’s oral health, function, and appearance. Tooth replacement options are essential to restore dental aesthetics and ensure proper chewing and speech. Failure to replace missing teeth can lead to further dental problems such as gum disease, bone loss, and jaw misalignment. Therefore, tooth replacement options such as dentures are crucial to maintaining good oral health and overall well-being.
What Are Dentures?
Dentures are removable prosthetic devices used to replace missing teeth and surrounding tissues. They can be full, partial, permanent, or removable. Full sets replace all of the natural teeth, while partial sets fill gaps in the teeth. Permanent denture implants are surgically placed into the jawbone, while removable dentures can be taken out for cleaning and sleeping. There are various reasons why an individual may need dentures, including tooth loss due to injury or disease, tooth decay, gum disease, or age-related tooth loss. You must consult a dentist for a proper evaluation to determine if dentures are best for you. Your dental health and overall well-being will determine your eligibility for dentures. Your dentist will consider oral hygiene, bone density, gum health, and overall health status to ascertain your eligibility for dentures.
What are the Advantages of Dentures?
The following are some of the advantages of dentures:
- They ensure improved dental aesthetics: Dentures can restore the natural appearance of teeth, improving an individual’s smile and facial appearance.
- It is a Pain-free and minimally invasive procedure: Getting dentures is a simple, painless procedure that does not require a major surgery.
- They help restore proper chewing and speech: Dentures can improve oral function, making it easier to chew and speak correctly.
- They boost one’s self-confidence: Dentures can restore an individual’s self-confidence and self-esteem, enabling them to interact better with others.
- Dentures can be offered in full or partial fittings: Dentures come in full or partial sets, depending on an individual’s needs.
- They are permanent or removable for preference: Dentures can be permanent or removable, depending on an individual’s preference and needs.
What Is The Dentures Procedure?
The following are the steps involved in a denture procedure:
- Pre-treatment consultation and assessment: A dentist will evaluate an individual’s dental health to determine if dentures are the best option.
- Taking impressions and measurements: The dentist will take impressions of the gums to ensure the dentures fit correctly.
- Fabrication of the Dentures: The impressions are sent to create custom dentures that fit the individual’s mouth.
- Fitting and adjustments: The dentist will fit the dentures and make any necessary adjustments to ensure they fit correctly and comfortably.
- Post-treatment care and instructions: The dentist will provide information on how to care for your dentures when you have them correctly.
FAQs about Dentures
Is getting Dentures painful?
Getting dentures is generally not a painful procedure. However, some patients may experience discomfort or soreness during the initial adjustment period.
How long does getting Dentures take?
The exact timeline may vary depending on the type of dentures, the patient’s teeth and gums condition, and any necessary extractions or other dental procedures.
How long do Dentures last?
The lifespan of dentures varies depending on several factors, such as the quality of the dentures, the level of oral care and maintenance, and the patient’s oral health. Well-cared-for dentures can last anywhere from 5-10 years.
Can Dentures be repaired or adjusted?
Yes, dentures can be repaired or adjusted if they become damaged, worn down, or loose-fitting.
How much do Dentures cost?
The cost of dentures varies depending on several factors, including the type, level of customization, materials used, and geographic location.
What Are The Alternatives To Dentures?
While dentures are a popular option for tooth replacement, other alternatives may be suitable for some patients. Here are two alternatives to dentures:
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are a permanent tooth replacement option that involves the insertion of a titanium post into the jawbone. The post fuses with the bone over time, providing a secure and stable base for a crown or bridge.
- Dental Bridges: Dental bridges are a non-removable tooth replacement option that involves anchoring a prosthetic tooth to the adjacent natural teeth.
Aftercare for Dentures?
Oral hygiene is a must when it comes to dentures. Good oral hygiene practices should continue even after getting dentures. Brushing and flossing regularly will help prevent any oral health problems. Regular dental checkups with the dentist will also ensure that the dentures fit correctly and there are no underlying oral health issues.
Below are some tips for taking care of dentures:
- Remove dentures before sleeping and soak them in a denture-cleaning solution to prevent them from drying out.
- Rinse dentures after meals to remove any food particles.
- Brush dentures daily with a soft-bristled brush and mild cleanser or denture cleaning solution.
- Use a denture adhesive as the dentist prescribes to keep them in place.
While dentures are an effective tooth replacement option, they may cause problems if improperly handled. Below are some common issues and how to avoid them:
- Sore spots: Sore spots may occur due to dentures rubbing against the gums.
- Slipping dentures: Slipping dentures may occur due to the loosening of dentures over time.
- Bad breath: Bad breath may occur due to improper cleaning of dentures.
Should You Get Dentures?
Dentures are a tooth replacement option that can help restore proper dental aesthetics, improve speech, and regain chewing functionality. With proper care and maintenance, dentures can last long and provide a comfortable and natural-looking tooth replacement option. For the best cosmetic dental services in Athens, GA, look no further than William Rice, DDS. With over 30 years of experience in the cosmetic dental industry, you are assured of the best services. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and get guidance on your dentures procedure!